If something goes wrong…it’s important your home and family are secure!

Not all insurance policies are created equal and to avoid heartache it’s so important to be aware of your level of protection. If something unforeseen was to happen and you did not have enough coverage you could lose your home, car and everything you own! Sadly if you reach that point the reality is there is nothing you can do about it anymore.Our job and mission is to make sure that never happens to you and your family. We will ensure you have the right amount of cover and protection so that you and your family have a future that is secure and safe from life’s uncertainties.

We’ll Help Put Things In Place For You

Dwelling insurance policies insure your house, rental property or holiday home against an insurable loss. Natural disasters such as fire, flood, storm, tsunami and earthquake are covered and in some instances other accidental damage can be covered.

In the event of a natural disaster such as an earthquake, the EQC (Earthquake Commission) provides cover for the first $100,000 excluding GST, with your insurer providing the rest.

Sum insured replacement is now the basis for most policies – this is based on an assumed rebuild cost per square metre of living space but will also allow for retaining walls, pools, fencing and other recreational features. You can estimate your sum insured by either going to, by engaging a valuer to provide an insurance valuation or by commissioning a surveyor or registered builder to give you a quote.

If you own an investment property it is important to let your insurer know it is tenanted as it may alter the terms and conditions of your policy and additional excess and premiums may be charged.

Sometimes referred to as home contents, these are the items that you fill your home with, wear, and occasionally carry around with you.

Flooring that is not glued down, drapes and window dressings and light fittings are considered contents and are not covered under your house policy so should be included in your list.

Most items in a contents policy are covered for their present or indemnity value only – even with a replacement policy you will find restrictions and limits to the coverage.

For those who are flatting, a contents policy also provides cover for third party liability which can come in handy if you burn the house down and the landlord’s insurer comes knocking for payment of the loss.

Apart from replacement and indemnity, there are two other types of policy – Anywhere in New Zealand cover extends the policy to include items temporarily removed from the home, while restricted cover provides cover only at the address covered by the policy (although even these types of policy will usually offer some temporary removal cover these days).
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for in contents insurance. The cheaper it is the more restricted the cover – things like limits for jewellery differ greatly, accidental damage is not covered by all policies, and water damage may be heavily restricted or not covered at all.

The question we get asked most often is “how much should I be insuring for?”. The answer is the total dollar value of all of your contents. This is because you are ultimately insuring against a total loss and the sum insured is what you get paid out in that circumstance – don’t just pick a figure as you might be seriously out of pocket if the worst happens!

Check out our contents valuation guides here to help with figuring out an insurable value for your contents.

Get cover for anything from your little optimist dinghy to a super yacht, and most things in between.

Trailer craft, yachts in marinas, and the odd jet ski make up most of what we cover, however, we insure a growing number of substantial pleasure craft worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Coverage can include support for flat batteries, medical advice, lost keys, flat or faulty batteries, emergency fuel, trailer assistance and of course, loss and damage to your vessel or third party property.

We have access to specialist underwriters for this type of coverage so give us a call and see what we can do for you.

Three types of vehicle insurance:

  • Connector.

    Third Party

    This is an Feature List Item that is part of an Feature List. Notice the connector between the three graphics to show that they are related.

  • Connector.

    Third Party Fire and Theft

    This is an Feature List Item that is part of an Feature List. Notice the connector between the three graphics to show that they are related.

  • Connector.


    This is an Feature List Item that is part of an Feature List. Notice the connector between the three graphics to show that they are related.

Third Party vehicle insurance covers you against any loss or damage you cause to third party property. Ideal if you have a low valued car but want to ensure that if you prang a $100,000 Mercedes you don’t go bankrupt! You are not covered for any loss or damage to your own car. Interestingly, most people who ask us about this actually mean Third Party Fire and Theft.
With this kind of policy, you get the same third party coverage as above, with the added protection that if your car is stolen and/or burnt out you will receive the market value sum insured. There is normally a limit to the value of the car you can cover under this policy (usually $7k) and windscreens are not covered.

There are some policies which offer restricted cover if a third party crashes into you and they admit fault, the maximum payout is usually $3,000. Talk to us for details.

Comprehensive policies provide cover for all of the above as well as loss and damage to your own car, including windscreens (and other glass). Most policies are “Market Value” which means in the event of a total loss or a stolen vehicle that is not recovered, the pre-loss value or market value is what is paid out. This is determined by an independent car valuer. There is often confusion with this as market value is not replacement value.

The other type of policy is Agreed Value. Not commonly offered, this policy sets the value of the vehicle each year so you are certain of the amount you would receive in a total loss situation. Usually the insurer will determine the value they will accept or you would need a valuation when taking this type of policy out. The value is reduced each year. Ideal if you purchase a V8 on 100% finance and the price of petrol soars, making your car plummet in value!

Whether you are into touring, sports, classic/vintage, or just commuting we can cover you and your motorbike.

We offer full cover, third party fire and theft or third party only.

Roadside assist and riding apparel, sole rider and limited KM’s – regardless of your needs, we have insurance to protect you and your bike from risk.

We provide specialist cover for European vehicles and automobiles worth over $50,000.

Limited kilometres option available

Whether you use your car for personal and business use, Northcrest can provide you with tailored coverage to meet your needs.

RV’s – I’m sure we used to call them motor homes!

Whatever you call them, these are very popular vehicles (much to Paul Henry’s disgust) and have their own special types of cover.

Cover includes horse trucks, converted busses and caravans.

Comprehensive cover is available and includes generators and awnings, roadside assistance, contents insurance, third party liability, emergency costs, salvage, trailers, cleaning/valet, accessories, appliances and more.

Our underwriters are specialists in this area and will cater the policy to your needs.

It’s your pride and joy – a 1968 Ford Mustang, beautifully restored after two long, loving years. You polish it most nights and take it out on fine Sundays. But what if your treasure was to be damaged? Special cars deserve special cover!
Our comprehensive cover includes genuine parts, agreed value and alternative transport.

Let us help you protect your classic vehicle today.

Values – The market value of your car is what IT is worth, not what you are able to replace it with. This is often where there are tears, the insurer won’t pay you out $10,000 to buy a new second hand car when your car was worth only $8,000. It doesn’t matter if you can’t find one for $8,000, it is the value of your car that was insured that will be paid to you, not the value of any car close in value to it.

Premiums exhausted – The annual premium is calculated based on the chances of a total loss for your car in the insurance year. If your car is “written off” you have exhausted the full year’s premium, even if you are only half way through the year, the remaining premium is still due to the insurer.